Friday, August 17, 2007

What's the Frequency?

It was time to be heading back to Riverside after doing the work part of the Boy's Trip.

Whenever I'm in the LA Basin, I use flight following if at all possible. It's not infallible, but I'm up for any help with traffic and it's good that the destination knows I'm on the way.

I added a few gallons to each side, called my parents to come get me(their 6 mile trip to the airport almost matched my flight time), and started up. Requested flight following from ground, and received the squawk code and departure frequency. A read back was confirmed as correct.

Lifted off and followed the downwind heading towards Long Beach harbour. Tower (same voice as the ground controller as far as I could tell) handed me off to departure.

I call departure. No response.

At this point that's no big deal could be busy, could be a change over time. I wait a bit and make another call. No response this time either. Also I haven't heard any other traffic calls as well. I quickly look at the departure frequency I wrote down. It matches what I have dialed in. Check the radio volume(turn it up more), and make another call. Still no response.

At this point I've assumed I've messed up somewhere in the translation. Even though there was a good read back. But, another aircraft come on frequency and starts requesting departure. OK, now I'm confused.

Also, I'm moving along in airspace that is both complicated and busy. A quick power reductions to slow me down, confirm my altitude is above the class D's and below the B's and C's nearby and slight turn direct for the harbour which will be keep me out of trouble longer.

While this is taking place the other aircraft makes another call to the same unresponsive departure control.

I figure now is the time to check back with the tower. I call in and tell them the departure frequency and how no one is responding. A new controller voice responds that he doesn't list that frequency and offers another one that would be for the area I was now in.

I change over to that new frequency to be greeted with," xxxxT, ident if you can read me". I respond on frequency and ident. That's followed by a lecture about being off frequency that I reply with the ground controller gave me the wrong frequency. There was no more said on frequency after that.

I felt good about my fly the plane first handling of the situation, and I think I did everything in the correct order. Based on the other plane on the original incorrect frequency I lean towards that ground gave me the wrong frequency in the first place. Since there was no fall out, other than the first lecture on the initial call up to the correct departure controller there is no real way to know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home