Monday, October 02, 2006

Checking In

Well, that's what I get for reading everyone else blogs all the time, I forget to add to mine.

To update my search for a new club, I still haven't found one. I haven't been looking.

After the last family trip my wife said, "I've tried to get into flying, but I can't do it. The planes smell, the seats are uncomfortable and I get sick from the heat before we take off."

She's right, even with a a couple of year old 182. It smells like aviation fuel was poured inside, the seats are terrible, and if you fly in the summer it gets hot inside on the ground.

Being an enthusiast I can and have ignored most of these things. Anyone who's trained in older airframes has seen how bad it can get. But, if aviation is going to keep addressing the need for more people to fly, the creature comforts have to be dealt with sometime.

So where does that leave me? Well I can keep flying out of Ahart for the moment, but there are no family trips until those issues can be handled, and I have no time table there.

3 Comments:

At 1:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Difficult as a renter (I guess that you like I rent planes)
I have more or less the same problem with my family and I tell you, that where I live planes for rent at a resoneable price are in bad bad shape regarding the interiors and instrumentation.
I have found, however, that my wife will agree to fly to places that are not easily reached by car - eg. small islands, but now I'm running out of islands!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger SloppyPilot said...

Running out of islands, now that's something I would never think about.

In my head I have a plan to take my wife on an overnight to the Mendicino area. She enjoys the area but hates the drive so I think she'll be in on that one.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Aileron said...

My wife used to enjoy flying with me (both glider and airplanes). She is also a reluctant GA passenger at this point. I try to stick with the kids now - they are much lower maintenance. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home