Friday, May 05, 2006

Kindergarten Afterword

I did the kindergarten demo yesterday and it was a blast. There’s nothing like the enthusiasm of a bunch of kids learning about something new. My wife did her normal volunteer time in the classroom after I left and she said I was the talk of the afternoon. Smiles for me.

I went ahead with the ideas I mentioned last time. I wanted to have something to see and something to touch. I came up with an internal thought on the demo in the form of a possible question and answer.

What makes airplanes fly? Imagination. (We do what we can imagine, and just think what these kids might do someday.)

A poster board with a class B sectional, onto which I attached a aerial picture of the school, another of the neighborhood, a shot of the 182 cockpit and an outside picture of the plane was the something to see. The kids we all over picking out the classroom and the construction of the new school buildings.

One interesting note, that confirmed something that I had been thinking about in preparing. Every single one of the kids in class had been on an airplane. Amazing, in my kindergarten class there was only one kid who had. His dad did a lot of traveling, and this kid used to tell stories about all the famous Hollywood types that he had met. Times have changed.

I handed out all the headsets for the touch portion and the kids had a great time trying them all on.

The kids asked some great questions, “Can you fly through clouds?”, “Can you fly at night?’, “How far can the plane fly?”, “How high where you when you took the picture?”

My homework is to find out when the next LVK open house is(4/23/2006) and let the class know. I already have a couple of the dads who have mentioned they want to go for a ride with their kids, so I need to follow up on that.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home