Friday, October 06, 2006

16 Right in Hi-Def

I took my oldest son to see the movie last night in San Francisco. The digital projection was impressive, and it was a treat to see it on the big screen.

Brian Terwilliger, the producer director, is a young guy with a ton of passion about flight. It was interesting to hear him speak about making the film.

He mentioned how the airport first turned him down and that he started shooting the film undercover. It was only after he screened a long trailer for the airport folks that they realized that his "documentary" was not a hit piece and then gave him full access.

One interesting note and an indicator of General Aviation in America, was that eight of the interviewees have since passed, three before the film was completed. Last night at the film, my son and one other young boy were the only two individuals under twenty, and I would put the average age near forty.

Highlight for the night (well having the whole evening with my son was big highlight) was my son asking Brian, “Why do you like to fly?” Nothing like the big question from a six year old.

4 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking further down your blog, and I shared some of the same spousal problems that you did. I, too, have a non-flying spouse whose participation I need to enjoy my flying. We bought a Cherokee 140, with which I took my Private. We went from E95 to KCRQ on the first day after my pass, and then back three days later.

She loved it, but her comment was "that was fun, but the inside looks like a '60's pickup truck and it's not exactly spacious - does your license let you fly anything a little bigger?". So I effectively got a "wife pass" to a nicer plane.

The search began, and I determined that I didn't want a shared airplane, because I'm a selfish SOB and because I want to be able to go wherever, whenever. And I don't like to share. So I looked around for something with reasonable x-country capability, IFR panel, decent interior/exterior and the right price.

Cessnas with the right characteristics (182, 180, 182RG) were all much too expensive (and besides - we both prefer the look of a low-wing). SR20/22s - much too expensive. Bonanzas? Retracts, so not only too expensive to buy but also to insure and maintain. We ended up with a 1966 Cherokee Six, and she's a peach. Nice IFR panel with autopilot, new paint and a four-year old leather interior. Six seats (so you can take the rugrats) and two doors (one forward, one aft).

Enough luggage room (front and rear) and capacity to take pretty much anything you can force through the doors, and 84-gallon fuel at 14gph burn. 200-hour SMOH engine, too. Nice. Price? I got it for $82,500. Fixed gear makes it easy to insure, and transition was a piece of cake from the 140.

So why don't you get one for yourself, and then sell shares in it if you need to?

Just a thought...

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger SloppyPilot said...

Thanks for the input. I've flown a saratoga a couple of times and agree with your points about the 6.

Sounds like you got a good price on yours.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger PH-ABB said...

Hi!

I bumped into your site while surfing the net. Nice stories.

I am also piloting a little but at the other side of the globe. The Netherlands to be more specific! I also have a blog but it's in Dutch LOL. BUT....pictures of our great sport are international!

Happy landings!

Frank (www.vliegmetfrank.nl)

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly you can add Sydney Pollack to the list of pilots who have died since the movie was made.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home