Monday, August 20, 2007

The Best Thing

After the business part of the The Boys Trip was over I scheduled a day at Lego Land. The ulterior reason for me was the chance to fly from Riverside to Carlsbad for that activity.

I checked Airnav for the FBO comments, Carlsbad seems to have many choices, which is nice. I called the top two choices and decided to go with Jet Source. They sounded happier on the phone.

On trip day, the boys loaded up and we were off. KCPQ was reporting ceilings at 1500 overcast, but it was clear just to the east. Having lived and worked in Carlsbad I'm familiar with the airport being marginal with clear skies just a few blocks away. Without local knowledge I wouldn't have been so certain.

Arriving above Escondido, I turned inbound and made my landing intention announcement to the tower, only to be told that I was too close to the ILS and had to turn south and report Lake San Marcos. I picked the closest lake in a southerly direction and consulted the chart. I couldn't for certain determine the lake in front of me was where I was told to head but I called at the lake and was cleared to land from that point. I call that good enough.

After landing and taxi we were directed to a parking spot at Jet Source. The line guys brought the rental car and asked how much fuel was needed. I loaded the boys and we were off for our day at the park.

During our day I watched at the clouds moved from overcast/broken/scattered and then finally clear. About 5:00 the process start to move in reverse. Around 6:30 I told the boys it was time to head back to airport( the ASOS was reporting 1500 overcast again). The usual chorus sang out, but it was time(fortunately Lego Land close around 8:00 so we weren't missing out on much time).

I did a quick loop to show the boys the beach I used to hang out at and promised we would come back to spend some time there on the next trip.

I forgot how much I miss the warm southern beaches. Although, the development in the area is astounding. It's hard to relate to some of the places it's grown so much.

Back at the airport, we dropped the car and were pointed to our plane. Amusingly parked next to another Arrow, they were nuzzled up to a Citation. Not bad company.

The last stop before we left was the obligatory bathroom stop. Here was christened the bast thing ever. Mints in the bathroom, the usual dollars spent comment ending with priceless, mints in the bathroom.

By now vis was down to 1200 overcast so we made a hasty retreat to the east and were rewared with a fantastic sunset flight back the waiting grandparents.

Another day with the boys, The best thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home